Re: linux-image-amd64 unsigned stretch-backports

* michail chodorenko <chodorenko@mail.ru> [20200611 09:30]:
> Not the first time I have encountered the fact that dependencies on the linux-image-amd64 package in the stretch-backports repository break. I see in the repository there is now only the linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64-unsigned package dated 27-May-2020 18:28, and the required package linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64 is not present.
>[...]
> linux-image-amd64: Depends: linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64 but it is not installable
>
> How is it that packages breaking dependencies get into the repository and why are they not fixed for so long?

From an earlier mail on this list:

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [20200218 19:50]:
> Building signed kernel images requires a second pass through the
> builders and the upload queues.  So they will sometimes lag behind the
> other kernel packages in "rolling" suites (unlike stable).

I think it should be possible to prevent uploading the new
linux-image-amd64 package before its dependency arrives, but I guess
this would require additional work that may be better invested
elsewhere. Additionally this might even delay the upload of the new
linux-image-amd64 package, thus delaying an automatic install of the
linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.9-amd64 package during dist-upgrade.

Of course this is much more problematic if you're not trying to
upgrade an existing bpo linux-image-amd64 package, but installing
linux-image-amd64 from bpo for the first time on a system. I have
been in this situation before, so I'd like to see improvements with
this, too.

My employer (Intevation) already regularly pays for Debian (and
Debian LTS), but this is a special feature, so if there would be a
way to pay for the development of a solution for this, I'm sure I
can arrange paying a part of it, and I could also ask a partner
company (who had the same issue) to contribute.

Regards,

Thomas

--
Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas@intevation.de>