Re: Newer Meson backports for stretch/buster?

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 11:22 AM Boyuan Yang <byang@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> 在 2020-03-13星期五的 11:10 -0700,Matt Turner写道:
> > On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 1:44 PM Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Wayland (and GTK, so I've heard) are blocked from requiring Meson
> > > newer than 0.49 since that is the latest available in stretch and
> > > buster.
> > >
> > > Would someone be willing to backport a newer Meson version to stretch
> > > and buster?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Matt
> >
> > Anyone want to help make Debian not limit upstream projects...?
>
> I re-read your email and found it a little bit confusing. If Wayland and GTK
> upstream are explicitly not using newer meson **because** Debian stretch and
> buster does not have newer meson, please do me a favor and tell them to go
> ahead and use the features provided by newer meson, do not get limited by
> Debian's version decision.
>
> Pushing new meson in stretch-backports-sloppy or buster-backports *is*
> possible, but this won't help in changing the default meson version provided
> by the main repo of Stretch/Buster since the backports repository is not
> enabled by default.
>
> Please let me know if I understood your concern correctly.

You understood correctly, unfortunately.

See

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/issues/296
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/merge_requests/68#note_429559

At least for Wayland/Weston, installing packages from -backports seems
to be fine:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland/-/blob/master/.gitlab-ci.yml

I'm completely of the mind that limiting upstream projects to what is
in Debian stable is insane, especially (1) with the acknowledgement
that you're not concerned with the distro's workload, (2) that it's
trivial to install newer Meson with pip, and (3) that Debian is
telling you not to limit yourself on its behalf!

But alas, here we are...