conditional d/rules resulting in different features b/t buster & stretch-backports?

Dear backports team,

I maintain a backport (btrfs-progs) that will soon have different
features between buster and stretch-backports.  It links with libzstd
[1] if a zstd udeb is available for the suite.  Buster now has this
udeb, and stretch does not, therefor buster's btrfs-progs will have
libzstd support and stretch-bpo's will not.

I worry that this might violate backports policy...  Is this kind of
diff between buster and stretch-backports permitted?

Happy New Year!
Nicholas

[1] It is used as an alternative transparent compression method
    (eg: 'chattr +c').