Re: conditional d/rules resulting in different features b/t buster & stretch-backports?

Hi Nicholas,

Nicholas D Steeves wrote:

> I maintain a backport (btrfs-progs) that will soon have different
> features between buster and stretch-backports.  It links with libzstd
> [1] if a zstd udeb is available for the suite.  Buster now has this
> udeb, and stretch does not, therefor buster's btrfs-progs will have
> libzstd support and stretch-bpo's will not.

No worries.  That's pretty typical in backports.
https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/ says

 "Do not make any changes to the packaging unrelated to backporting.
  Keep the diff between the testing and the backports versions as
  minimal as possible."

and the difference you are talking about is (1) certainly related to
the targetted suite and (2) minimal.

More to the point, it might make sense to omit the udebs from the
backport altogether.

Thanks for writing and hope that helps,
Jonathan