Re: PHP 7.2 support in backports

    Hey,

* Herman van Rink <rink@initfour.nl> [2018-10-09 13:33:52 CEST]:
> As php.net is indicating that security support for php 7.0 will end on 3
> Dec I'm wondering what Debian stable users should do.
> More and more projects are also adding dependencies on >= php7.1.
>
> Adding php7.2 packages to backports seems like a good solution.
>
> I found bug #893700 [1] requesting just that with a comment from Ondřej Surý offering to upload.
>
> The only obstacle seems to be approval from the backports team ... is there an argument against adding it?
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=893700

 I'm a bit puzzled about the "not going ask them again" part in there,
because I don't remember anything about that.  I've tried to dig around
and found something about incompatibilities between php5.3 and php5.4 in
2012, but that was specific to that.

 Given that Ondrej is since a fair amount of time already maintaining
all the various php versions on https://deb.sury.org/ the issue is
*hugely* different to what we faced back then.  I'm in awe of the effort
he puts into that and wouldn't see any reason why the php7.2 package
shouldn't be able to get in.  I take it that the backport is based on
the version in testing, and that's the main requirement we have here.

 Best luck, and big respect for all the work that Ondrej puts into the
packages.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda