Re: hdparm_9.56+ds-1~bpo9+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Mon, 14 May 2018 at 15:34:14 +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> The main reason for the backport is annoying bug #891051 and the changes
> between the version in stretch and testing include mostly bugfixes.
> So in my humble opinion hdparm is a perfect candidate for
> stretch-backports especially due to it's wide use.

If the bugfixes are non-intrusive and have a low risk of regressions,
please talk to the release team about the possibility of a stable update
(stretch-proposed-updates -> stretch) by reporting a bug against the
release.debian.org pseudo-package. #891051 looks like something that
could be in a stable update, for instance.

The goal for stable updates is to fix important bugs that have simple
solutions, keeping the (risk of regressions * expected severity of
regressions) small. This usually means backporting selected fixes to
the version in stable, but can sometimes include new upstream releases
if you'd be selecting most of the upstream changes anyway.

The backports suites are mostly for new features, and bugfixes that
are too intrusive/high-risk/behaviour-modifying to be reasonable for a
stable update. (If some of the changes between stretch and testing are
too intrusive for a stable update then it might still make sense to do
a backport as well.)

    smcv