Re: Why does apt-get upgrade want to remove half of my packages?

On Thu, 10 May 2018 09:13:09 -0600
Daniel Urist <durist@ucar.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:08 AM, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>
> wrote:
>

> > > * why should I install specific backports instead of all that
> > > are
> > available?
> > They are not tested together and probably not compatible together
> > (as seen here)
> >

> I understand that this is a complex issue, but this recommendation is
> still really problematic; it's very common to want to install
> multiple backports (even if not all),

Carefully selected backports are commonly installed on one system -
indeed many backported packages themselves depend on more backported
dependencies.

> but this implies that it's only
> ever safe to install a single backport on a given system.

The possible matrix is too wide to be testable, so if you do install
multiple backports, you get to keep all the pieces when it breaks.
Hence, the guidance is to only install the backports you really need.

If you want lots of / all backports, you have to dist-upgrade to testing.

--

Neil Williams
home@codehelp.co.uk