Re: Why does apt-get upgrade want to remove half of my packages?

James, I understand your advice, thank you - but this is super-tedious
and near-to-unusable in practice:
I just do not know which packages have a newer version in bpo and I
can not allow to take the time to check for each and every package
that is installed on my system if there might be a bpo replacement to
manually install it then. I just want to have new packages for a
stable distro. How would you handle that?

I tried to pin bpo with apt preferences like this:
Package: *
Pin: release a=stretch-backports
Pin-Priority: 800

It first works fine, but then it leads to the same problem I have right now.

Also I really would like to learn something about debian package
management, so please allow me to ask:

* why should I install specific backports instead of all that are available?
* why should I not upgrade or dist-upgrade with -t stretch-backports?
* is it good / bad practice to pin backports packages like in the
config example above? Why / why not?

These questions, btw, would be great to have asnwered in the FAQ -
indeed I was looking for answers to them there.

It would be great to have that explained by someone with a passion for
teaching ;)

Seriously, I have the Debian apt reference material open in browser
tabs but I am not able to understand / debug this situation to help
myself, what I am usually able to do.
However I became suspicious that some package might have wrong
dependencies definitions - it would be fantastic if an experienced
packager would like to take advantage of this situation that is easily
reproducable for every bpo user right now to explain how to analyse
and debug that - what are you looking at, which paths are you
following, which tools are you using?
If I finally learn something more about Debian package building I will
be happy that this problem turned into something useful.

Thanks for your attention!

PS: BTW I am trying to use the gmail web gui, what is an extraordinary
terrible experience - unbelievable that this is the outcome of so many
years of work of one of the biggest... ah, comeon... forget
it...sigh... - please excuse any unexpected character noise. I will
switch over to thunderbird as soon as I know why apt wants to remove
it...