Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 21 Dec 2018, at 19:46, Dominik George <natureshadow@debian.org> wrote:
>> Also go read the description of the ftp-master delegation that, albait
>> acknowledge its not about backports, state that the team ultimately
>> decide
>> on what is good to be in the archive.
>> So yes, ftp-master deciding that a package is not wanted in the archive
>> whatever reason they can think of is well within their powers.
>
> I do know that - but deciding whether a package should, as a package, go into the archive does not necessarily include deciding who should put it there and who not.

A few points:

1. The (old)*stable suites can't be uploaded to by DDs as they wish and instead
   have additional policies enforced by SRMs, much like (old)*stable-backports
   having policies enforced by the Backports Team.

2. None of this is about whether a particular person should or should not
   upload packages, but rather, given all the information, whether there are
   concerns regarding supporting it for the lifetime of the suite.

3. [1] explicitly states:

       Please note, that you are responsible for this backport from the time on
       when it was accepted on debian-backports. This means, you have to keep
       track of the changes in unstable, update your backport when a new
       version enters testing and provide security updates when needed. If you
       are not willing or capable of doing this, you better ask someone else
       (e.g. on the mailing list) to create and maintain the backport.

   Rightly or wrongly, the Backports Team has decided that, due to the number
   of packages needed for GitLab that currently only have the same one
   maintainer, the risk of not being able to keep those updated is too great.
   My reading of the above is that it should cover this, even if it's not
   listed as a specific reason.

James

[1] https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/