Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 07:56:16PM +0530, Pirate Praveen wrote:
[...]
> Since gitlab 10.11.8 requires ruby >= 2.4, I will need to backport
> ruby first

I would advice against doing that. You would also need to
rebuild/backport every single package that contains a Ruby extension
written in C so that it has a .so library built against that new Ruby
interpreter. And there is also the possibility that this new ruby will
break unrelated software in stretch.

What exactly does "requires ruby >= 2.4" mean? Are there actual features
in gitlab that need ruby >= 2.4? If there is a technical reason why
this new gitlab can't run with the ruby from stretch, I would recommend
not backporting it at all (or at least not in the official backports
repository, anyway).