why is npm not in debian-backports ?

Dear all,

Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

A big shout-out to Praveen for maintaining npm and the loads of
node-related packages.

I was documenting a mozilla add-on

https://github.com/RequestPolicyContinued/requestpolicy/wiki/Build-Requirements

when I was made aware that npm is not in backports.

While looking at the mails on debian-backports mailing list, saw
Praveen's mail -

https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2018/10/msg00069.html

Now from I understand, Debian Stretch will get support all the way till 2022.

>From https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Now the important link of his mail is/was -

https://wiki.debian.org/Javascript/Nodejs/NEW

I also looked at the number of depends in npm and it comes to 79 including
ca-certificates.

It is possible that another 4-5 packages might be needed as build-depends.

I do understand that ftp-masters is an ongoing resource issue as shared by him.

Before mailing, I also tried to figure out what the rules for Backports are
but the wiki about Backports is silent on the issue -

https://wiki.debian.org/Backports

There are couple of lines in the FAQ though which talks about the rules -

https://backports.debian.org/FAQ/

Q: Why are there no more backports of Mozilla products anymore?

A: Backports of Mozilla products (Firefox, Thunderbird, Seamonkey; aka
Iceweasel, Icedove, Iceape) are maintained by the Debian Mozilla Team
independently on mozilla.debian.net, because the offered variety of
version exceeds what is possible within the rules for Debian Backports
as it e.g. includes backports of packages not yet in testing or beta
and even alpha releases.

Is that the gist of the rules or is something more. If it's just this
I could add this
to the backports wiki worded a bit differently saying the same or are
there any more
rules guiding backports which are not documented but known or documented but
in a mail somewhere.

Looking forward to know more.

--
          Regards,