Re: Removing openjdk-9 from stretch-backports?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> > The bootstrap has been done, and OpenJDK 11 is in buster, so the
> > older ones are no longer needed.
>
> AFAICS its not uncommon to rebuild packages, just to update their package

A rebuild is not a bootstrap. For that, you can use the
already-existing OpenJDK 11 packages to compile the new,
or recompile the existing, OpenJDK 11 packages.

In fact, this is normally done after the bootstrap, to
exercise the current compiler fully and get all of its
benefits; bootstrapping often disables stuff to get it
built with the older compiler.

I’ve kept backports of OpenJDK 7 to hardy, lenny, squeeze
and OpenJDK 8 to precise, trusty, squeeze and wheezy up
to date for quite a long time (locally), even submitting
fixes to Doko for some of the builds, and I know that,
at some point, it always became mandatory to (re)build
the package with itself, not the previous-major version
of the JDK. While not fun when bootstrapping a new port
(architecture), this is also normal.

bye,
//mirabilos
--