Re: appimage, snap, flatpak, backport, when to use which?

Marco Moller <mmoller@cicbiomagune.es> writes:

> I try to understand how and in which situation the established users
> opt for the usage of backports - and why meanwhile years old methods
> like AppImages (or quite new ones like Snap and Flatpak) are nowadays
> not routinely used instead. Don't get me wrong, I am not pushing
> against backports, I simply try to orientate myself while digging
> deeper and deeper into the world of Linux and Debian, and became
> confused.

Possibly not a good reason, but when I last played around with snap I
couldn't get it working reliable on Debian, and my attempts to get help
failed. So I gave up.

I think I looked briefly at Flatpak (and maybe even AppImages), however
can't remember why I didn't try it. Possibly I should look at these
again.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>