Re: Both depending and recommending a package

On 2018-03-04, Sean Whitton wrote:
> stretch has qpdf 6, and stretch-backports should soon have qpdf 8.
>
> ocrmypdf is in stretch-backports.  I am thinking about adding the
> following to ocrmypdf's d/control:
>
>     Depends: qpdf
>     Recommends: qpdf (>= 7)
>
> because ocrmypdf's upstream recommends qpdf 7 or newer to obtain better
> output from ocrmypdf.
>
> If I do this, will
>
>     apt-get -t stretch-backports install ocrmypdf
>
> also pull in the backport of qpdf, assuming that the local admin has not
> disabled the installation of recommends?  Or must I use "Depends: qpdf
> (>= 7)"?

Versioned recommends don't tend to do much, in my experience, but it's
been a while since I've tried.

I suspect apt would just install qpdf from stretch in the above example,
since that satisfies the Depends, and not bother with packages with
lower than the default pin-priority.

Maybe aptitude would be more adventurous...

live well,
  vagrant