Both depending and recommending a package

Hello,

stretch has qpdf 6, and stretch-backports should soon have qpdf 8.

ocrmypdf is in stretch-backports.  I am thinking about adding the
following to ocrmypdf's d/control:

    Depends: qpdf
    Recommends: qpdf (>= 7)

because ocrmypdf's upstream recommends qpdf 7 or newer to obtain better
output from ocrmypdf.

If I do this, will

    apt-get -t stretch-backports install ocrmypdf

also pull in the backport of qpdf, assuming that the local admin has not
disabled the installation of recommends?  Or must I use "Depends: qpdf
(>= 7)"?

Thanks.

--
Sean Whitton