Re: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports

Ben, thanks for explaining the situation and for all your work on the kernel for Debian. And thanks to all the other backporters and the backport admins for their work over the years.

I wish to make the case for continuing backports into LTS releases, if the backporter for particular packages is willing (as it sounds like Ben is). In my opinion, this is especially important in the case of the kernel. The backport admins might have actual data on this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the kernel packages are by far the most popular backport, even on a lot of systems the only backport.

These are the exact systems which either currently or might one day rely on LTS. If backports and LTS are incompatible, then it really reduces the utility of both of them, especially in the case of a security-sensitive, frequently-needed-for-modern-hardware package like the kernel.

It certainly makes sense that many backporters aren't willing to babysit their packages all through the LTS phase of life. Might it be possible to set up a (for example) "jessie-backports-lts" repository when Jessie goes to LTS? That way the jessie-backports repo can go to the archive, as Ben suggests, but users who still need backports can meet backporters willing to continue via jessie-backports-lts.

I believe that this would be worth doing this even if the only software in jessie-backports-lts were the kernel and associated packages. As I said before, the kernel is uniquely and immensely useful both as a backport and for LTS.

All this is easy for me to say because I have no idea how much effort it would be, nor am I in a position to undertake it, so I'll of course defer to the opinion of the administrators. There's definitely a use case here. It would be really nice to find a solution.