Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Wed, 24 May 2017, Neil Williams wrote:

> Packages using 1.7 in jessie *must* go via the 1.8LTS to safely upgrade
> to 1.9 or later.

> 1: We cannot let users lose data by not providing an upgrade path via
> 1.8LTS.

This seems to me like this is a problem of Django, not of Backports.

How, by the way, is the upgrade from jessie to stretch handled?
If this makes users lose data (without using the 1.8 packages)
that’s probably an RC bug.

> Current backports policy is too rigid.

Maybe, but, strictly speaking, backports is *backports* of
packages from the next Debian version, “period”; the 1.8 series
is not a backport.

> We are in this situation and the 1.8 backport - whatever the history -
> is *mandatory* for the continued operation of these packages.

Which is why I suggested an additional repository — which would
also help your upgrading issue, AIUI.

> Backporting what is currently in testing is not an option.

That just reads to me as “uploading Django packages from testing
to Debian backports is not permitted”, directly leading to “then
upload them elsewhere”.

It’s simply out of scope.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yes, I hate users and I want them to suffer.
	-- Marco d'Itri on gmane.linux.debian.devel.general