Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Wed, 24 May 2017 06:09:50 +0200
Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2017, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>

> > On May 23, 2017 5:28:04 PM EDT, Alexander Wirt
> > <formorer@formorer.de> wrote:

> > >in the archive

> > >jessie-backports since

> > >You didn't followed the often stated policy. Full stop. We just
> > >never noticed.
> > >
> > >We stated that several times and you just decided that policy does
> > >not count
> > >for you. I think that is pretty unfair.
> >
> > There are security fixes in this upload.  What's the way to get
> > those fixed?  Backporting 1.10 isn't an option because it is
> > incompatible with many other packages.
> >
> > Would cherry-picked security fixes be okay?
> The policy is pretty clear. Backporting 1.10 and backport the other
> packages too.

Then, I'm sorry, but the policy is broken and will directly harm users
of jessie, stretch and jessie-backports.

1.10 cannot be backported successfully to packages which depend on 1.7
- this has already been demonstrated with

Packages using 1.7 in jessie *must* go via the 1.8LTS to safely upgrade
to 1.9 or later.

Once on 1.8LTS, getting to 1.9, 1.10 or 1.11LTS is easy.

If the package gets to 1.9, it is also unlikely that it will be
upgradeable to the next LTS after 1.11 (currently listed as 2.2LTS)
without also going via the 1.11LTS.

I know there are various problems with how we got into this situation
but this is how it is right now.

0: We cannot get 1.8LTS into Jessie - we would have to include all the
current reverse dependencies of django currently in jessie-backports to
do so.

1: We cannot let users lose data by not providing an upgrade path via
1.8LTS.

2: If someone seriously suggests removing all of these packages from
jessie-backports it also means removing them from testing and unstable
and that is utterly unacceptable.

3: Not allowing the update of a backport including security fixes is
unacceptable.

Current backports policy is too rigid. We are in this situation and the
1.8 backport - whatever the history - is *mandatory* for the continued
operation of these packages.

> It is maybe a problem and maybe we should get the policy changed - I
> personally don't think too.

I strongly support a change to backports policy on this. We *must* fix
this properly.

Removal of any of these packages is not an option.

Refusing to allow a security fix is not an option.

Backporting what is currently in testing is not an option.

Policy *must* change.

--

Neil Williams