Re: inkscape not installable from jessie-backports (depends libgsl10ldbl)

Le 30/03/2017 à 14:38, James Cowgill a écrit :
> Unfortunately it's not that easy for gsl because both libgsl0ldbl and
> libgsl2 ship libgslcblas.so.0 so they cannot be co-installed. The
> correct solution would be to move libgslcblas.so.0 into a separate
> package so that at least libgsl2 wouldn't need to conflict with
> libgsl0ldbl. However, that may require a transition if there are any
> users of libgslcblas in the archive.

Hi,

As a first step, you can do without a transition: libgsl2 and
libgsl0ldbl would simply need to both depend on libgslcblas0. To make it
work even better in jessie-backports you could even have libgsl2
Depends: libgslcblas0 | libgsl0ldbl

I am not sure whether it would be OK to do it immediately in unstable
because the wording of Policy 8.1 does not make it clear to me whether
the current situation is RC buggy or only importantly buggy:
"If you have several shared libraries built from the same source tree,
you may lump them all together into a single shared library package
provided that all of their SONAMEs will always change together. Be aware
that this is not normally the case, and if the SONAMEs do not change
together, upgrading such a merged shared library package will be
unnecessarily difficult because of file conflicts with the old version
of the package. When in doubt, always split shared library packages so
that each binary package installs a single shared library."

On the longer run, you would indeed want to drop that dependency, which
would then require a transition so that lbgslcblas0 gets added to the
dependencies of each binary that actually links against the library.
Such a transition would clearly not be OK for unstable now.

Regards, Thibaut.