using profile in order to do backports

Hello reading the debian wiki[1]

Backports

A backports profile could adjust build dependencies depending on the Debian release for which the backport is done. A backports profile name would thus have to contain the targetted release. With support from debhelper, even the binary versions could automatically adapted to contain the bpo postfix once a build is done with a backport profile active. This would allow to do backports without forking the packaging.

So my question is quite simple, did someone already tried to use  build profiles in order to generates its backports.
Is there pre registered names of profiles for backports, if not what is the right way to obtain these names ?

It would be nice to be able to adapt our packages in order to support multiple versions of distribution without forking the packaging.

thanks

Frederic

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/BuildProfileSpec