Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> writes:

> If upgrades from jessie to stretch without 1.8 delete user data,

NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Sorry, had to make that very clear.

Upgrading to Django 1.10 will NOT DELETE OR CURRUPT DATA in anyway.

In fact the bug #863267 is because it is refusing to touch the
database. It is not applying the migrations because it (incorrectly)
senses that something is wrong with the database. It dies early allowing
the administrator the ability to fix the problem. Instead of applying
the migrations anyway, and potentially damaging stuff.

As this happens inside the postinst script, when the migration fails,
the package upgrade fails.

All the data is still there. All the data is still perfectly valid. It
may not be accessible with the newest version of the application
however, which will probably depend on the migrations being run. Also,
having the dpkg upgrade marked as failed could cause problems.

This only happens in *one* package that depends on Django, and it
involves a complicated situation involving a package that had no
migrations mixed with a package that does have migrations (I seem to
remember Django team saying from 1.7.x times that this was a problematic
and very complicated situation and not recommended).

I do not believe #863267 should be an RC bug against Django.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>