Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 08:07:32AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Rhonda D'Vine <rhonda@deb.at> writes:
>
> >  If the packagers cared about user code (and I think they should), then
> > we would have Django 1.8 in stretch?
>
> I think it is too late for that now.
>
> As a packager, I have (tried) to ensure that my packages in Stretch are
> 100% compatable with Django 1.10.
>
> I can not make any similar assurances about Django 1.8 compatability.
>
> I suspect there will be no problems - many upstreams - although not all
> - have CI tests that cover 1.8 compatability. Checking each and every
> package will require time, and, and we don't exactly have time right now
> in this stage of the freeze.
>
> If there any no CI tests, or CI tests that have poor coverage, I think
> it is really easy to slip in Django 1.10 specific stuff without
> noticing. Or not notice that you broke that Django 1.8 specific
> statement.

All these problems equally apply to 1.8 in backports.

What happens when an existing backport of a python-django-* package gets
updated to the version in stretch (as is supposed to happen), and that
newer version turns out to not work properly with 1.8?

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed