Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 07:50:25 PM Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> * Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org> [2017-05-24 19:17:34 CEST]:
> > If the Django maintainers are forced by backports policy to backport
> > 1.10.x from stretch into jessie-backports, then I can see that *that*
> > has the potential to create a lot of work for the maintainers of
> > dependent packages, because unlike the upgrade from 1.8.16 to 1.8.18,
> > it's a jump between branches and seems likely to contain API breaks.
>
>  Actually, they would need to do it regardless because of stretch.  That
> is a rather weak argument IMHO.  If the depending package comes from
> stretch it actually has to work with 1.10 now already.
>
>  If it's an outside package I'm not so sure if having a backport for a
> package that changes interface so intensly that it requires a painful
> lot of work between versions is a wise decision in the first place.
>
>  So long,
> Rhonda

Django actually has a pretty rigorously enforced deprecation/removal process
for API changes.  The problem is our release cycle and Django's aren't well
aligned, so it isn't always easy.

Django exists as a framework for people to develop web services in and so it's
not the usual case of an outside package.  It's a case of people using the
package as intended and developing their own services on top of it.

Having it in backports makes this whole thing easier, not harder.

Scott K