Re: Backports policy for security updates (was: Re: python-django_1.8.18-1~bpo8+1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 03:27:27 PM Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On May 24, 2017 9:09:04 AM EDT, Alexander Wirt <formorer@formorer.de>
wrote:

> > >wonder

> > >then...

> > >for

> > >stable was

> > >support

> > >supporting that

> > >Sorry.

> > >We will probably close jessie-bpo with the end of the main support. It
> > >seems
> > >that is was a nice idea, but it unsupportable.
> > >
> > >Alex
> >
> > If so, we're back to upstream Django 1.8 support being roughly aligned to
> > when jessie-backports closes, so can we please continue updating it?
> >
> > If you're to angry with Raphael to let him do it, I volunteer.
>
> such a kind of exception isn't decided yet.

I understand you haven't decided yet.  I would ask that the backports team
reach a decision on this quickly.  I have ongoing work with a client that I
had planned on basing on these Django 1.8 packages.  If we have to change
direction and pip install everything, we can, but I need to change direction
sooner rather than later.

Personally, I feel terribly caught in the middle here.  I made representations
to a client on why Debian was suitable for an effort based on the ongoing,
regardless of if it in theory should have been or not, package maintenance of
Django 1.8 in Jessie and the similar plans for Django 1.11 in Stretch.

If that's not going to work out, I need to go eat my words sooner rather than
later.  I also have 8 packages I want to get removed from Stretch before
release because Debian packages are not a suitable vehicle to support the
project I packaged them for (they are fine packages, but not ones I care to
maintain in Stable if I'm not using them).

Whatever it is, please make a decision quickly as I need some time before the
release to get things adjusted.

Scott K