Re: linux kernel backports broken

On Tue, 2016-05-31 at 17:17 -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> On 2016-05-31 16:30:53, Christian Seiler wrote:
> > So I just tried this on my system (I actually just did an apt-get upgrade,
> > because I also run a backports kernel on my desktop, also amd64), and it
> > worked just fine here.
> >
> > Are initramfs-tools installed? (dpkg -l initramfs-tools)
> > If so, could you do the following:
> >
> > update-initramfs -k all -u
> >
> > Does that work or give you an error?
> >
> > How much space do you have left on your /boot partition?
>
> Sigh... /boot was full. i don't quite understand why the postinst script
> wouldn't tell me that, but removing an old kernel fixed the problem and
> I was able to build the initrd correctly.
[...]

Ah, I think I understand.

Normally the postinst script will create/replace symlinks to the newly
installed kernel version at /vmlinuz and /initrd.img (or with the same
names in the /boot directory).  If this fails then it assumes symlinks
aren't supported on the target filesystem and will try copying the
files.

Copying has been broken since the beginning of the wheezy development
cycle, because I moved the creation of the initramfs to a later stage.
As it happens, I spent much of Sunday working on a rewrite of the
maintainer scripts, at which point I noticed this bug and removed the
fallback entirely.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings