Re: Backports Instructions refer to "http.debian.net"

   Hey,

* Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> [2016-03-10 13:37:27 CET]:
> On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 5:06:12 PM AEDT Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> > * Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> [2016-02-26 19:27:30 CET]:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately your information is incorrect. http://httpredir.debian.org/
> > > is the official (non-experimental) and maintained sevice. Try opening
> > > those URLs in browser to get more information. See also
> > >
> > >     https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/05/msg00003.html
> >
> >  Unfortunately your information though is outdated.
>
> Mine? That's everyone's information unless there were another (newer)
> announce superceeding this one.

 The outdated information I am refering to is that it is maintained, not
the announcement.  And that's why I mentioned the timeframe - a lot of
things can happen in 10 months, thus claiming for an old announcement
that it's a proof that it's maintained isn't really useful.  At least
that's how I read it.  If that wasn't your intention, my appology.

> >  And stating that's "not six months yet" is not really a
> > helpful in the light of that it's unmaintained since that time.
>
> It is helpful to avoid reassuring (slight) exaggeration.

 There's no significant difference between "6 months ago" and "little
less than 6 months ago".  It's way too long for a service like this, by
several months.

> I agree, there seems to be a maintenance problem.

 Good, so we can agre on that we have a maintenance problem here
finally, thanks.

> >  Besides, http.debian.net *is* httpredir.debian.org, there's no
> > difference between those.
>
> And how do you know that, exactly? Without insider's knowledge I've noticed
> that services resolve to different IP addresses.

 Uh?

#v+
$ host http.debian.net | head -1
http.debian.net is an alias for httpredir.debian.org.
#v-

 That's how I know it, exactly.

> Announcement suggests that "httpredir" runs on Debian infrastructure
> while "http.debian.net" was proof of concept not hosted by Debian.
> Moreover I doubt those services are running the same version of
> software and it may be that "http.debian.net" stopped receiveing
> updates before "httpredir.debian.org" did... Though I'm only
> speculating...

 Well, your doubts and speculations are wrong, maybe you could even get
an idea when going to http://http.debian.net/ that it might be the same
just by looking at the website, if DNS isn't useful enough.

> > And as long as the status is unclear and keeps unclear it doesn't
> > make any difference which of the two names are in there ...
>
> Why is that? We have official announcement where Raphael himself declared
> "httpredir.debian.org" as successor of "http.debian.net". We should be using
> the former just because it is hosted by Debian infrastructure even if both
> services are identical. Instructions should have been updated long time
> ago...

 Yes, I agree that they should have been updated back then.  But given
that the service is unmaintained and because http.debian.net is just a
CNAME for httpredir.debian.org it won't change anything.  At all.

> > I'm much more for switching to deb.debian.org than
> > exchanging the name for the same service given that the testing goes
> > well.
>
> "deb.debian.org" is a fantastic service that works very well (as far as I can
> tell). I'm all for it but I'd like to see the announcement with more details
> about the service, who maintains it and their contact details...

 I think this might not be the time for it yet though, especially as
long as oldstable is still around (and I think not even jessie can cope
with it).  I missed the "but the name has SRV records in DNS that let
apt in stretch and later find places" originally, and as long as we
don't even have that in stable it doesn't make sense to suggest it to
users of stable which are the target audience of backports.  :)

 Have fun,
Rhonda