Re: Backport of bacula 7.4.3+dfsg-1

On Wed, 03 Aug 2016 at 15:52:54 +0200, Sven Hartge wrote:
> On 03.08.2016 15:41, Christian Seiler wrote:
> > Wouldn't the same issue also occur when upgrading from jessie to
> > stretch and should the fix hence not also be applied to the
> > package in stretch/sid as well? (Then there would be no special
> > backports-related change in the package.)
>
> Yes, it would. But the packages in Stretch will be completely redone and
> will not have this problem to start with.

If this is a valid backport to jessie, then by definition it's already in
stretch. Until stretch freezes, it is usually true that there will be a
newer version in stretch later; it's up to you how long you wait for that
to happen before backporting what you already have.

> The new packages are currently in Experimental and are expected to be in
> Unstable quite soon. But we wanted to have a backport of 7.4.3 to be
> available, because it was requested by multiple people.

There are two routes you can choose from. You can either fix what's
currently in stretch, in stretch, and backport it; or wait, land what's
currently in experimental into stretch, and backport that.

If it's worth backporting 7.4.3 to jessie-backports now, then it's worth
applying the fix you described to 7.4.3 in stretch first.

If it isn't worth applying that fix and you just want to move to the
version currently in experimental, then wait and backport that.

Backports changes should really only be for things that are specific to
the backport to stable and do not affect testing.