Re: auto-whitelist DDs?

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for the explanation. It is really appreciated. And, I am sure it will
be useful for others too.

On 28/06/2016 17:51, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> * Rhonda D'Vine <rhonda@deb.at> [2016-06-28 17:49:14 CEST]:
>> * Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> [2016-06-28 17:30:55 CEST]:

>>> Who are the other uploaders?
>>
>>  DMs?

Indeed. I guess I got confused. :-)

>>> Besides, can you please help us to understand the different reasons that led
>>> that conclusion?
>>
>>  The possibility to remind people that uploads to backports are
>> available mostly without further checking for users of stable and thus
>> they should take extra care is important enough for me personally on
>> itself.

Can we do something about that like adding specific questions about
backports in the NM templates? AFAIK, backports is not "documented"
there and it would be a nice step forward.

>  ... also the matter of least privileges should be something that should
> be more commonly applied and better understood than be opposed to.  Like
> written, the packages end up on stable systems without any further gate
> keeping like in stable updates or stable security.

Well, I do agree on the principle, but I am not convinced an explicit request
to get upload rights to backports is an efficient solution in this very
specific case (in terms of time spent on both sides and net effect).

My preference would have been to make sure things are documented [1], people
are aware of the process [2], communicating about the processes [3] and
punishing "bad uploaders" only. YMMY though.

[1] Fortunately, it is the case here.
[2] Specific NM questions about backports
[3] a blog post should do

Regards,

--
Mehdi