Re: Broken package dependencies in Debian backports

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 11:50:16AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-06-08 at 23:36 -0400, Harlan Lieberman-Berg wrote:
> > Michael Prokop <mika@debian.org> writes:
> > > I noticed that Debian backports includes packages which can't be
> > > installed due to broken dependencies. Today I took some minutes to
> > > write a script using the lovely dose-distcheck tool to identify such
> > > packages and hereby report my findings.
> >
> > Awesome; is this something that you could potentially integrate into one
> > of the services that runs regularly over the archive?  Not sure which
> > place it really would belong.  Lintian seems the wrong place; maybe
> > something attached to ci.debian.org or reproducibility?  Or maybe its
> > own service?
>
> Ralf (CCed) already runs dose and files resulting bug reports, perhaps
> we could convince him to run it over backports too. Probably we need
> him to display the results on qa.d.o and get them integrated into
> tracker.debian.org so maintainers and backporters can see the issues.
>
> https://qa.debian.org/dose/

indeed, it should be easy to integrate backports into the existing dose
service since we have already all the Packages files mirrored on quantz.
Please have a look at the page Pabs pointed to, to get an idea how the
result looks like. What I have to know to set it up for backports is :

- that would be stable-backport with stable as background (in dose parlance),
  right ?
- do you want
  * only main
  * or main, and separately nonfree+contrib
  * or main+nonfree+contrib all combined ?
- which architectures ?
- only dependencies of binary packages, or do you also need build-dependencies
  of source packages ?

Cheers -Ralf.