Re: wordpress 4.4.2+dfsg-1~bpo8+1 should depend on libphp-phpmailer >= 5.2.10

Adding Craig in Cc:

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 03:39:26PM +0100, David Raison wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I had by mistake reported this to the debian bugtracker where I was made
> aware of the requirement to send reports on packages from backports to
> this mailing list.
>
> Package: wordpress
> Version: 4.4.2+dfsg-1~bpo8+1
>
> Upstream WordPress includes phpmailer as class-phpmailer.php in its
> wp-includes directory. In the Debian package for Jessie backports, this
> class is provided by the libphp-phpmailer package, currently in version
> 5.2.9
>
> Wordpress 4.4.2 an even 4.4.1 before however, is shipping with version
> 5.2.14 of phpmailer which brings an extended API, for example the method
> getCustomHeaders().
>
> Some WordPress plugins begin to rely on this API and will break (ending
> the entire PHP process with a Fatal Error) when WordPress has been
> installed from the Debian repositories rather than the upstream sources.
>
> I know libphp-phpmailer is being used from the repositories rather than
> included with the wordpress package for security reasons. I also do not
> have any recommendation on how to solve this issue.

Oh, I'm using it with some plugins and it works just fine, guess is not the one
you are using. And I'm not sure what the right solution will be here.

The wordpress package in unstable depends on: libphp-phpmailer (>= 5.2.9+dfsg),
so probably it should depend on a newer version if we want to avoid these
issues.

The only solution to make it work for you that I see, is to backport
libphp-phpmailer too.

Does anyone have any suggestion? How are these bugs supposed to be handled?

Thanks a lot,
Rodrigo