Re: Backports Instructions refer to "http.debian.net"

On Friday, 11 March 2016 3:07:33 PM AEDT Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> * Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> [2016-03-10 13:37:27 CET]:
> > And how do you know that, exactly? Without insider's knowledge I've
> > noticed that services resolve to different IP addresses.
>
>  Uh?

I distinctly remember checking that some time ago and getting two different
IP addresses for httpredir.debian.org and http.debian.net...

> #v+
> $ host http.debian.net | head -1
> http.debian.net is an alias for httpredir.debian.org.
> #v-
>
>  That's how I know it, exactly.

Thanks. I wonder when DNS change has been made...

>  Yes, I agree that they should have been updated back then.  But given
> that the service is unmaintained and because http.debian.net is just a
> CNAME for httpredir.debian.org it won't change anything.  At all.

Except that it may help a little to remove obsolete http.debian.net DNS
record at some point in the future.

> > "deb.debian.org" is a fantastic service that works very well (as far as I
> > can tell). I'm all for it but I'd like to see the announcement with more
> > details about the service, who maintains it and their contact details...
>
>  I think this might not be the time for it yet though, especially as
> long as oldstable is still around (and I think not even jessie can cope
> with it).  I missed the "but the name has SRV records in DNS that let
> apt in stretch and later find places" originally, and as long as we
> don't even have that in stable it doesn't make sense to suggest it to
> users of stable which are the target audience of backports.  :)

Yes, as I've already said earlier, "deb.debian.org" is for the future, not
for backports yet... :)

Thanks.

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

Faith: not wanting to know what the truth is.
        -- Friedrich Nietzsche