Re: Backports Instructions refer to "http.debian.net"

Whoops, didn't mean to go off-list.

On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 22:12 Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi@mithrandi.net> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016, 20:27 Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> wrote:
On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 05:15:15 PM Tristan Seligmann wrote:
> or maybe http://deb.debian.org/

Thanks for information about http://deb.debian.org/. When was it introduced?

Not sure; I only discovered it because the Debian wiki links to it while explaining how to install dbgsym packages.

> httpredir.debian.org seems to be unmaintained,

Unfortunately your information is incorrect. http://httpredir.debian.org/ is
the official (non-experimental) and maintained sevice.

According to:

https://github.com/rgeissert/http-redirector

the last commit was 6 months ago. There's also several bug reports open which I think cover my complaints between them all. For example:

https://github.com/rgeissert/http-redirector/issues/55

https://github.com/rgeissert/http-redirector/issues/72

The fault is mostly that of the broken mirrors', but I am finding that just using Fastly (via deb.debian.org) or CloudFront (via cloudfront.debian.net) makes for a more reliable experience. I guess the reverse may apply for those who are near a good mirror, but far away from a Fastly or CloudFront edge node, so my original mail may have been overly opinionated; sorry for that.