Re: dbgsym packages and backports

On 01/15/2016 08:02 PM, Vincent Bernat wrote:
>  ❦ 14 janvier 2016 23:02 +0100, Bálint Réczey <balint@balintreczey.hu> :
>
>> override_dh_strip:
>>         dh_strip --ddeb-migration="kodi-dbg (<< 15.1+dfsg1-4~)" || dh_strip
>>
>> It may hide some obscure problems, but seems to work well for
>> backporting.
>
> Would people be able to upgrade cleanly from a backported version of
> Kodi to a stable one once stretch is released? I don't think they will.

Yes, because on backports kodi only does "dh_strip", not "dh_strip
--dbg-package=...". So neither dbg nor dbgsym packages will be created
in backports at all. So no upgrade issues from jessie-backports to
stretch because of that.

Above code is the same as completly wiping the override_dh_strip, as I
do in wine. If this is applied in the main packaging it has the benefits
of not requiring a code change from stretch to jessie-backports, at the
cost of possibly hiding real problems in sid/stretch. But from a pure
backports perspective I don't see any problems.

Greets
jre