Switching to Packages.xz for jessie-backports?

Would it be possible to generate Packages.xz files for jessie-backports?

Aside from the "xz is better" factor, it appears that httpredir now
automatically returns a 404[*] for any Packages.bz2 under dists/jessie*.
This can result in unnecessary HTTP traffic (especially since apt
appears to fall back to xz, then lzma, then gz) as well as superfluous
error messages.

 [*] https://github.com/rgeissert/http-redirector/commit/134200f5ca97cc3a9933305cfd053b2a34cb4eb0

[I'm not subscribed to this list, so please CC me if needed.  Thanks!]

--
<sangr> home is where the highest bandwidth is