Re: Fwd: jessie backport for Wordpress

On Wed, Jun 03, 2015 at 05:24:55PM +0200, Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> * Martin Steigerwald <martin@lichtvoll.de> [2015-06-03 13:05:38 CEST]:
> > You just replied to list and thus removed Cc for Craig, and thus the
> > wordpress package maintainer is not in the loop anymore unless he reads
> > backports mailing list. As for having wordpress 4.2 in backports Rhonda
> > thinks it is not suitable.
>
>  It might be suitable, but I would have to have some questions answered.
> The original reasoning did leave the impression on me that there was a
> misunderstanding about what backports is.  Also it left the impression
> on me that the version of wordpress is considered unsupported/not being
> able to support it properly.
>
>  These are things that raise my suspicion.  We've had a fair amount of
> people trying to use backports as an "easy" way to get fixes into
> stable and thus I feel the need to raise that point from time to time.
>
>  If I understood Rodrigo in their last mail correctly they have
> understood these concerns, and if I understood Holger and Craig

Yes :-)

> correclty wordpress seems to be actively maintained in (old)stable.
> The rest of the concerns are historicly with wordpress in older
> backports releases which haven't been taken proper care of.  So we (as
> in backports team) would really like to see someone (rather more than
> only one person) to be taking care of this backport, best would be
> people involved in the regular package maintenance, too (that is, for
> testing/unstable), to reduce the chance that we are in the same
> situation again after some months when people now using it and thus
> having a direct interest potential move to a different platform.  We
> just don't want to inherit to have to track that package again after a
> year or so.

(Adding Craig to Cc:)

Craig, the backports team will feel more comfortable if the backport does not
depend on only one person, and it would be best if someone in the regular
package maintenance is involved too.

My plan, of course, is to do the backport in a timely fashion. Where I work we
are using it for a whole site (not just as a blog) in production, so of
course my plan is not to disappear. But, would you like to take care of it in
the unlikely case I "disappear"?

I can continue to provide a backport even if I change my job. When jessie
becomes oldstable, as I tend to upgrade the servers quickly, I will not have
where to test it, though.

Thanks a lot,
Rodrigo