Re: lxc/wheezy-backports: FTBFS on ia64 (was: Re: lxc for wheezy-backports)

Hi Christian,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 6:07 AM, Christian Seiler <christian@iwakd.de> wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> Am 2015-05-15 11:53, schrieb Vincent Cheng:
>>>
>>> I've uploaded the source package to here (mentors didn't work for me, I
>>> got a 500 Internal Server Error), the changes file includes the full
>>> history since the version in Wheezy, as per backporting instructions:
>>> http://iwakd.de/temp/debian/lxc_1.0.6-6~bpo70+1.debian.tar.xz
>>> http://iwakd.de/temp/debian/lxc_1.0.6-6~bpo70+1.dsc
>>> http://iwakd.de/temp/debian/lxc_1.0.6-6~bpo70+1_source.changes
>>> orig.tar.xz is from Jessie:
>>> http://http.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/lxc/lxc_1.0.6.orig.tar.xz
>>>
>>> It would be great if somebody could sponsor this upload. Thanks!
>>

>> Uploaded, thanks for your contribution to Debian!
>

> I just noticed that it FTBFS on ia64:
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=lxc&arch=ia64&ver=1%3A1.0.6-6~bpo70%2B1&stamp=1431947703
>
> The issue seems to be that ia64 doesn't provide clone() but __clone2()
> instead (see man clone(2)). From reading the manpage, it will probably
> be really easy to fix, but I don't have access to ia64 myself, so I
> can't actually test it.
>
> Note that the older LXC version that comes with Wheezy already FTBFS on
> ia64, so no package was ever uploaded to the archive for that
> architecture (even though the package is Architecture: linux-any).

The buildd logs for lxc on wheezy [1] suggests the very opposite,
actually. We are looking at the same page, right? :)

> Curiously, the buildd overview seems to indicate that the wheezy
> package is 'Installed' on all archs (including kfreebsd, which it
> definitely won't work on), whereas the detailed log indicates
> (correctly) 'Maybe-Failed'.[1]
>
> And for Jessie, ia64 is not a release architecture, so the problem
> didn't appear there (and therefore I didn't suspect it).
>
> How should I proceed?
>
>  - try to fix this build failure by trivially adding #ifdef + __clone2
>    on ia64 and create ~bpo70+2 (which would then be untested)?
>
>  - somehow get access to a ia64 box to test that first (is that
>    possible? I'm not a DD nor a DM)
>         - Is there an emulator for ia64 that can run a full Wheezy?

You can request access to Debian ia64 porterboxes [2]. I can sponsor
your request if you're looking for a sponsor.

>  - make ~bpo70+2 that excludes ia64 from the architecture list in
>    debian/control? (Since Wheezy doesn't come with LXC for ia64,
>    wheezy-backports need not either.)
>
>  - ignore this and simply live with the fact that buildds will attempt
>    to build it?
>
>  - ask somebody (if so, who?) to exclude ia64 in Packages-arch-specific
>    for lxc - but as far as I can tell, there is no such override file
>    for -backports?
>
>  - something else?

It's worth pointing out that since lxc is indeed available in wheezy,
the fact that it FTBFS in wheezy-backports could be considered a
regression, so I would suggest fixing this if at all possible.
However, there's no migration process in debian-backports, so having
lxc FTBFS on ia64 is only going to affect ia64 backports users (it's
not going to hold up testing migration as if this was uploaded to sid
instead), so it's not urgent/important to fix.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=lxc&suite=wheezy
[2] https://dsa.debian.org/doc/guest-account/