Recommended git packaging work flow for backports?

Hi.  I'm preparing my first backport and couldn't find any information
on what the best work flow for a Debian package that uses git,
git-buildpackage, pristine-tar and so on.  Are there any pointers here?

Should I create a separate branch, pulling in things from 'master' once
that version has hit testing, update the changelog and maybe modify
gbp.conf to point at the backport branch, and then build and upload?
Is anyone working with backports this way?  Any other pitfalls?

/Simon