Re: Samba4-common-bin missing dependency

Hi Herbv,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 02:13:02AM -0600, Herb Garcia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Samba4 on a new wheezy VM. Before installing I added backports to my sources.list. I used apt-get to install samba and samba4-common-bin. When trying to run samba-tool, I received the following:
>
> http://paste.debian.net/137588
>
> File "/usr/bin/samba-tool", line 26, in <module>
>     from samba.netcmd.main import cmd_sambatool
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/main.py", line 22, in <module>
>     from samba.netcmd.delegation import cmd_delegation
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/delegation.py", line 23, in <module>
>     from samba import provision
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/provision/__init__.py", line 47, in <module>
>     from samba.samba3 import smbd
> ImportError: libdfs_server_ad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> According to a search, that package should be in Jessie in the "Samba4" package, but apparently there is no Samba4 package, it is replaced by samba4-common-bin, which I have installed. I have also installed each individual package listed in the wheezy Samba4 wiki page. Same result. I installed the samba4 test-suite. Also no success.
>
> I believe this is a missing dependency.
The 'samba4' source package has been removed in jessie, and has been merged
into the 'samba' source package. In wheezy the server side of the 'samba4' package
was removed because it was broken anyhow, and had unpatched security issues.

As far as I can tell 'samba4' (and its binary package samba4-common-bin) is not
present in any of the backports suites (as it should be). You probably want to
just install the 'samba' package from backports.

Cheers,

Jelmer