Re: Options for backporting s3ql package?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The wheezy s3ql package is currently at version 1.11. The version in
> testing and unstable is 2.8. Upstream (that's me) develops s3ql in two
> branches, a 1.x branch that's (by now) in maintenance mode, supports
> Python 2.7, and and receives only critical bugfixes, and 2.x branch that
> requires Python 3.3 and receives new features.
>
> Since the release of 1.11, several bugs have been found (see
> https://bitbucket.org/nikratio/s3ql/src/26a9028d3775bb0fa765a29c28fe364c193cfa44/Changes.txt?at=maint-1.x
> for a full list), and the current version of the 1.x branch is 1.18.
>
> I was wondering if it would be possible to provide a backport of 1.18
> for wheezy. I am willing to do the work, and there seems to me some user
> interest as well
> (https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=707184). However, the
> backported package version (1.18) will never enter testing or unstable,
> and backporting the 2.x branch isn't feasible because of the dependency
> on Python 3.3. Would that be a problem?

I'm not a backports ftpmaster and I can't speak on their behalf, but
they've made it clear before that they won't accept packages into
backports that haven't first gone through testing (e.g. a backport of
a newer php 5.4 release was rejected for the same reason [1]). In
short... no.

If the bugs are severe enough, I'd suggest approaching the release
team with a debdiff and try to get those bugs fixed in a stable
update.

Regards,
Vincent

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2013/12/msg00056.html