Re: tt-rss wheezy-backport

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 03:27:13PM +0100, alberto fuentes wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM, David Smith <sidicas2@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sabastian Reichel is around, he always shows up when there is a new
> > version of tt-rss.

sure. I just had lots of work to do for university in the
last few weeks. This is done now and I will have more time
for Debian stuff in the next days.

> > In the mean time, is there anything you can do to help address those
> > Lintian warnings?
> >
> > I was hoping there might be a way to address some of those Lintian
> > warnings (http://mentors.debian.net/package/tt-rss)  and get at least a
> > couple of those handled in testing/unstable as well as the backport.
>
> yeah.. he opened this bug against [0] prototype-js so it doesnt need
> patching it and it will get rid of the personalized js library
>
> [0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712252

right. IMHO this should be fixed before backporting the package.

@Frank Habermann: Do you plan an upload of prototypejs in the near
future?

> The Experimental warning is false positive
> The rest are quite trivial to handle by the maintainer himself. I can
> provide patches if asked by Sebastian, but as i understand backports
> should deviate as little as possible from testing, so I didnt touch
> much in the backport

I think the only other lintian warning is the apache configuration
filename. I don't think changing only this justifies an upload.

> > I'd like to work with you getting tt-rss backported to Wheezy, so let me
> > know if there's anything I can do. I'll start with looking at those
> > lintian warnings and seeing if I can figure out if it's possible to
> > address them for testing/unstable so that they won't also end up in a
> > backport.
>
> not much left for us to do but to have someone to upload it i think :>

I would prefer to fix the patching in testing before doing the
backport. This simplifies potential future backports a lot.

> > The other thing on my mind is the updater that ships with tt-rss.  I
> > noticed that if you try to use it, it tends to break the package in
> > Debian such that tt-rss doesn't work anymore.  I'm not sure if the
> > updater is shipped with the tt-rss package in Debian (haven't tried it
> > in months), but if it is, maybe we can find a way to disable it so it's
> > not so easy for a user to accidentally break the tt-rss package. Of
> > course that doesn't stop somebody from downloading tt-rss from upstream,
> > running the updater in that,  and then breaking the installed package of
> > tt-rss in Debian that way.  It's one of those things that I've been
> > trying for months to figure out a good solution for, and haven't come up
> > with any yet.
>
> I think you are refering to the update feeds alternative daemon, dont you?
> I never really tried to used since the default just works for me :>
>
> open the bug in testing and i can try to reproduce it and maybe fix it...

No, he is refering to tt-rss's own updater. tt-rss comes with a
script, which can be used to update its software (e.g. updating
tt-rss from 1.10 to 1.11).

I have thought about this for some time and I think the updater
method should be replaced in the Debian package by a message similar
to this one: "Upgrading tt-rss using this script is not supported by
Debian's tt-rss version. Please use apt-get to install tt-rss updates."

P.S.: The upstream roadmap of tt-rss assumes, that there will be a
release today. So it may be worth waiting some more hours.

-- Sebastian