Re: Backporting kate (at least 4.11.n) to Wheezy by a newbie?

El Friday 17 October 2014, Randy Kramer escribió:
> I've searched the list of backports to see if anyone had done this, and,
> unless I missed something, no one has.
>
> I wonder if anyone is working on it?
>
> I've done some googling, and am thinking about trying to backport kate
> (at a version of 4.11.n or greater) to wheezy.  I've found the
> SimpleBackportCreation page, and if I try it, I will try to follow those
> instructions.
>
> But, I'm wondering, as a newbie to all this, is there much chance of me
> being successful?  Will I run into a problem with hundreds of
> dependencies?  Will I mess up kde 4.8.4 on my wheezy system?
>
> Opinions and advice solicited.

Lisandro alreagy gave you good advice on the challenge that it can be. I see
that you are already having trouble.

One way that might be simpler (not that much in this case maybe), but that
always tends to be cleaner, is to compile the application yourself and install
it to a directory. That leaves your system untouched (you can do this without
root permissions to be fully sure), and you can start the application setting
some environment variables.

For this case is not that easy because kate 4.11 requires kdelibs 4.11 as
well, so you need to compile kdelibs to a directory, and then tell kate to use
kdelibs for that directory, but is doable.

I don't recommend it though, if you at least don't fully understand how the
PATH variable works and are somewhat familiar compiling applications.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2