Re: Accepted debian-lan-config 0.13~bpo70+5 (source all)

* Andreas B. Mundt <andi@debian.org> [2014-05-12 11:35:00 CEST]:
> This is all clear to me and I understand the reasons behind it.

 Then it isn't clear to me why you chose to completely ignore it and
didn't even try to get in contact with the backports team before chosing
a path that is completely contrary to what the backports service tries
to offer.  Also, completely ignore that similar discussions popped up in
recent times for other packages, too.  With your approach you are
alienating the expecations of users of the service, too.

> However, debian-lan-config is a package which especially targets a
> Debian release.

 Then it might not fit the regular backports service.  Especially when
you are aware that you are working against the rules and not even trying
to find a concensus with the team.

> The version in stable-backports targets wheezy (the package could not
> be finished before freeze, also because a rather 'stable' system is
> needed to prepare/finish the package).

 Then those changes should go in through a stable release update.
Backports is not the place to push fixes for stable in.

> I tried to solve this problem by preparing a wheezy branch in git [1]
> and cherry-picking the minimal modifications relevant for the stable
> version which is upload to stable-backports.

 According to the changelog this is far from minimal.

> This way, I hoped to keep things clear, transparent and in the spirit
> of the rules.

 No, unfortunately you didn't.

> I am a bit unhappy that you allege me not caring at all about those
> rules and not reading mandatory lists.

 And I'm very much disappointed that you didn't even try to get in
contact with the backports team while you were very much aware of the
contribution rules and that you are explicitly working against them.
I'm sorry that you feel unhappy about the feedback you receive for that,
but it would had been avoidable at large.

> But I have not found any other sensible way for a rather special
> package like debian-lan-config.  If you can suggest a better work
> flow, I am happy to adopt it.

 Get the fixes for stable into stable.  Don't abuse backports for fixes
that belong in stable.  That's the sensible way.

 I take it that you will try that approach and not alienate the
backports service with misuse in the future and that we can remove the
package again?

 Sorry about this mess for all the users of the package,
Rhonda