Re: May I upload FreeCAD into wheezy-backports?

On Sun, 19 May 2013 20:45:21 +0200, Gerfried wrote in message
<[🔎] 20130519184521.GA31794@anguilla.debian.or.at>:

> * Arnt Karlsen <arnt@iaksess.no> [2013-05-19 16:44:58 CEST]:
> > On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:01:05 +0200, Anton wrote in message
> > <[🔎] 5198A2E1.1070804@debian.org>:
> >
> > ..a nice pointy way is fork it as "UNFreeCAD" and drop all this
> > non-compliant stuff into non-free or contrib where it belongs.
>
>  If there is license incompatibility involved, we can't distribute it
> in non-free.  We still will have to obey the chosen licenses, no
> matter how unfortunate that might be.
>
>  And yes, if that was the reason to have it removed from wheezy, I
> don't see any way that we will accept that into wheezy-backports, as
> long as the reason hasn't changed (and it doesn't seem like it has,
> has it?)

..a work-around might be a debian package of build-from-source
scripts that fetches "FreeCAD" and OpenCASCADE etc sources to
build "UNFreeCAD" and "ClosedCascade", to keep everyone happy,
the current users get their toys, and we purists get to rub it
in upstream. ;o)

..both the automagic FlightGear build-from-git scripts at
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_Compilation_on_Linux_Debian/Ubuntu
stops short of building .debs, they were written to speed up
FlightGear rebuilds once you have your own git trees set up.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: