Re: May I upload FreeCAD into wheezy-backports?

On Sun, 19 May 2013 12:01:05 +0200, Anton wrote in message
<[🔎] 5198A2E1.1070804@debian.org>:

> On 05/19/2013 11:44 AM, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 May 2013 11:04:54 +0200 Anton Gladky wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >> May I upload the current FreeCAD version into backports, linked
> >> against the old Coin3D version?
> >
> > I am under the impression that the same reasoning that led to the
> > decision to remove freecad from wheezy would apply to
> > wheezy-backport as well.
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> Well it is unclear, whether the old Coin3D version was relicensed
> under BSD or not. Upstream did not answer the question. If it was
> relicensed, then we can safely upload it into backports.
>
> > [...]
> >> FreeCAD is a popular package and Wheezy's users really need that.
> >> I have got some private mails from them with the question, why
> >> FreeCAD is not in Wheezy and whether is it possible to bring it
> >> there.

..a nice pointy way is fork it as "UNFreeCAD" and drop all this
non-compliant stuff into non-free or contrib where it belongs.

> > That's really unfortunate: it's the exact scenario that I feared it
> > would materialize.
> > That's why I have been struggling since April 2009 in
> > order to persuade OpenCASCADE S.A.S. to re-license the OpenCASCADE
> > Technology framework under GPL-compatible terms...
> > No public news from them on this front yet, sadly.  :-(
> > http://bugs.debian.org/617613#173

..this bug BS started 2 years ago.  I recommend nice big noisy press
releases pointing out the reality of these nice big flashy buzz words
abused here.

> > Please recall that this would be the ideal solution: so I renew my
> > call for help on this front.
> > This is what I have repeated like a broken record for ages: please
> > get in touch with OpenCASCADE S.A.S. and persuade them to
> > re-license the OpenCASCADE Technology framework under
> > GPL-compatible terms! http://bugs.debian.org/617613#5
> > http://bugs.debian.org/617613#59
>
> Francesco, I do appreciate your try to do it. But I think, if
> OpenCASCADE S.A.S does not really want to do it, we can do almost
> nothing with that. You are not the one, who was trying to do it, but
> no decision yet.
>
> > On the other hand, getting rid of all the GPL-licensed parts and
> > dependencies of FreeCAD is a sub-optimal solution (although it's
> > still a solution for FreeCAD...). The re-licensing of Coin3D under
> > a BSD license is a step towards the sub-optimal solution (the other
> > step is getting rid of any remaining GPL-licensed code included in
> > FreeCAD itself).
> > http://bugs.debian.org/617613#158
>
> This sub-optimal solution is unfortunately the only possible one now
> to keep the package in Debian. It would be also good to warn the new
> projects, who are starting to use Opencascade, about possible problems
> with the license in the future.

..another candidate for nice pointy forks, "ClosedCascade".

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: