Re: getting rid of the .changes requirements

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org> writes:

> I'm jumping into the discussion, so I might be missing something, by why
> do you need rmadison at all?

> You'll have to build the package in a stable+backports build environment
> anyway, so the problem can be solved with the data of "apt-cache policy"
> or similar. If there's a backported package: You have the last version
> number. It there's no backported package: Take the version from stable.

Yeah, that would also work.  I actually *don't* build backports in a
chroot with backports enabled unless I have to for other reasons, to try
to be a bit more sure that my backports are "pure" and don't require other
backports unnecessarily, but aside from that (which is probably a bit
idiosyncratic and usually unnecessary) apt-cache should provide all the
required information.