Re: getting rid of the .changes requirements

Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:

> -1 from me too. IMO it's useful to directly learn about the changes from
> the changes mails, esp. since it's rather easy to add -v to $debuild
> calls.

> That said, maybe^w that info could be added automatically from dak if
> it's missing?! Just as usual, someone would need to write that code...

Better support in the building front-end tools could help.  At least in
theory, debian/changelog says what distribution you're targetting when you
build.  Given that information, one could make an rmadison call to find
the current version of the package in that distribution (or, for
*-backports, when the package isn't found, the associated base
distribution) and then add the appropriate -v flag automatically.

It would require a dependency on rmadison, so it's probably not something
for dpkg-buildpackage, but debuild, pdebuild, git-buildpackage, or
anything else that's higher in the dependency stack should be fair game.