Re: getting rid of the .changes requirements

* Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> [2013-06-23 17:41:01 CEST]:
> The utility - having nice mails on the -changes list - does not justify
> the cost - it's quite painful, sometimes non-trivial, and simply
> annoying work to get your build environment to produce .changes file
> that meet this requirement.

 While I question the "it's quite painful, sometimes non-trivial" part
(and others wondered about that too), I can understand that it can be
seen as sort of a burden and annoying at times.

 But I also can understand that a changes mailing list that consists
only of "backported to wheezy" mails isn't very useful to most...

 My personal opinion was always that there is no way currently to get
the full changelog -- which isn't true anymore.  The packages website
already links the full changelog also for backports packages, and I
definitely enjoy that we managed to get there.  What currently is still
missing for me being a bit more pleased is that aptitude changelog would
be able to show the changelog of a backported packate.

 Personally I would like to keep that rule for a bit, even if it's just
a soft prod towards getting aptitude changelog (and other changlog
viewing tools) to be able to show those for the backported packages,
too.  Those who are interested in the full changelog can get it now
already, without installing the package though.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda