Adding: squeeze-backports-sloppy to my sources.list broke apt! INSTRUCTIONS at: http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ NOT CLEAR TO NEWBIES!

To whom it may concern:
                                   I am running Debian 7 Gnome Iceweasel 17.0.7 & I was trying to install Adobe FlashPlayer. I found a post that suggested installing Firefox, but a later post advised that this was NOT the preferred method - rather it suggested that I install the "ESR" version of Iceweasel - (I NOW REALISE THAT I "MAY" HAVE HAD IT INSTALLED ALREADY? "About Iceweasel" did not show "ESR" but just the same version #?! At any rate I noticed "ESR" mentioned in the download, so I was happy)

Re: [SOLVED] Flash doesn't work with Iceweasel on Squeeze 6.

Postby sunrat » 2012-11-13 02:09

mikeyc1945 wrote:IMHO, IceWeasel is outdated and should be replaced by Firefox. Installing the latest version of Firefox can be difficult, but is well worth the effort.

Please stop posting this mikeyc1945. I know you probably have good intentions and it works for you, but it's not the best Debian recommended action, which is to install the latest ESR version of Iceweasel from backports. I'm running Iceweasel 10.0.10esr-1 and Flash works fine.

 I followed the instructions at :
http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/

squeeze-backports-sloppy

but when I tried to "apt-get -t squeeze-backports-sloppy install iceweasel", apt failed! I then commented-out the squeeze-backports-sloppy repo source - (& used the command: "apt-get -t squeeze-backports install iceweasel")  & apt worked again but did not find the package...I then tried putting "wheezy-backports" in place of "squeeze-backports" & I was successful in downloading the package. I then used "apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree" which worked. I then shut down & restarted Iceweasel & flash finally worked. Phew! I found the whole process confusing & I do not know how absolute "newbies" would get on....I was not impressed with: http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/ as the INSTRUCTIONS did not work & I had to think outside-the-box to get everything to work ok. I realize now - (?) - that "squeeze" was wrong & that - as I am using "wheezy" - it was the right command to use. ...but that was not clear to a relative newcomer in the "INSTRUCTIONS"! I hope that someone reading this post can make sense of it & clarify the "http://backports.debian.org/Instructions/" page for newbies. t.a. - 'b'ye.

--
-- "For we have not been given a spirit of
 fear, but a spirit of power, of love, and of