Re: Iceweasel in Squeeze and security

On 26-06-13 22:35, Rodney wrote:
> On 26/06/13 11:41 AM, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> I use Iceweasel 10 from squeeze-backports for my desktop customers, and
>> I expect many desktop users have switched to that version.
>
> If you don't want to use the suggestion that Roel Wagenaar proposed,
> perhaps you should consider migrating your users to Wheezy. After all it
> is now the stable version of Debian and eventually all security support
> of Squeeze will stop as it is only continued for about a year after a
> new release.

I would like to have some time for the migrations. My desktop users are
sometimes in complex situations, like thinclient environments or using
NFS4/Kerberos. I need some time.

> I expect many desktop users have done this and you will note that Wheezy
> has the version of Iceweasel that you desire.
>
> Your contention that Squeeze now does not have a secure browser might
> not be completely accurate as Iceweasel is not the only Internet Browser
> available in Debian. Presumably, the others will continue to be
> maintained as long as the rest of oldstable.

Please tell me about a browser what is supported. Epiphany? Chromium?
Konquerer? Debian is not so clear about what's not supported anymore,
but so far I know these browsers have many bugs and are not active
supported anymore.

> I believe Iceweasel became
> somewhat of a special case when Mozilla went to a fast release cycle,
> Firefox is now at v22.0.

Before that it was a special case too. In the release notes there was a
part about the support of the Mozilla packages. See e.g. here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#mozilla-security

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl