Re: Backport of schroot

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 09:28:45AM +0100, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012, Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > (1.4.19-1+squeeze2)³⁴.  But since backports already has a
> > later release, I'd prefer to upload the most recent stable
> > release, which would be 1.4.27-1~bpo60+1⁵.
>
> But backports don’t work like that…

I've been made aware of that.  I was asked to post here to
discuss this.

> > while the 1.4.x releases have.  Additionally, there are
> > some changes to the configuration file options (some
> > additional and some deprecated and obsoleted options).
>
> … the idea is that backports are based on Debian testing,
> not stable, and so, that is to be expected. And the code
> being tested should occur in testing, not in the backport,
> which normally is unproblematic (and backport-specific
> issues being found by the packager before upload to bpo).

OK.  But the release the backport is based on /was/ in testing.
It's been extensively tested over the last year or so.
It's just been superseded for the last few months by a new
major release.  It has already been tested extensively (bar
the security fixes, which will be in s-p-u and testing
shortly).  I'm just not (yet) confident in the quality of 1.6
on stable.  Not because there are any known issues--it should
build just fine.  But because it hasn't been tested with the
combinations of boost libraries etc. that are in stable-backports.
This will be done.  But in the meantime I would like for
stable-backports to have the important bugfixes which will be
going into testing and s-p-u shortly.  I would feel that to
upload a 1.6 release would be a disservice to users of
stable-backports until that testing is done.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh